Waverly Township's Historic & Architectural Review Board - HARB
The Historic and Architectural Review Board (HARB) was created to protect and enhance Waverly Township for the educational, cultural, economic, and general welfare of the public through preservation, protection and regulation of buildings of historic interest or importance within the district and to safeguard elements if architectural history through the district which have determined to be of historic significance.
Any property owner contemplating an addition, renovation or repair to the exterior of a building located within the Waverly Historic District or the construction of a new building located within the historic district, must apply to the HARB for a Certificate of Appropriateness prior to the commencement of any renovation or construction activities. This application is in addition to the building permits normally required to do any additions, renovations or new construction within the township.
The Historic & Architectural Review Board consists of five registered electors who shall serve at the discretion of the Waverly Board of Supervisors. For 2020, the Board members are Chair Christina Byron, Sue Houck, Joe Curti (Building Inspector), Lindsey Gerber, Lynn Nichols (RE Broker), Dave Hemmler (Reg. Architect) James Vipond (Reg. Architect).
The Waverly Township Architectural Review Board (sometimes referred to as HARB - Historic Architectural Review Board) is appointed by the Board of Supervisors. This Board meets as needed to evaluate and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on the appropriateness of proposed construction on any home or building located within a historic district.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held the second Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Waverly Township Municipal Building, located at 1 Lake Henry Drive, Waverly Township, PA.
HARB applications are due two (2) weeks prior to the next available HARB meeting date. Please contact Christine Capozzi (570) 586-0111 with any questions and she can walk you through the process.
Waverly Township Board of Supervisors Meetings & COVID-19
The Waverly Township Board of Supervisors has made changes to township meetings to protect the public’s health due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Waverly Township Board of Supervisors Meeting will be held via Zoom. The meeting information can be found on Waverly Township's Facebook page.
Questions or Comments can be directed to the Township Manager prior to the meeting by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling 570-586-0111.
Christine Capozzi, Township Secretary/Manager
Building Permits/Zoning Information
News and Events
where we call home.
Good Neighbors Since 1806
Waverly was founded in the late 18th century by settlers from Connecticut and was originally called Abington Center. In 1853, it was established as a borough within Pennsylvania; since there already was a place named "Abington" located near Philadelphia, the town was renamed Waverly after Sir Walter Scott's novel of the same name, popular at that time. The borough, located within Lackawanna County, gave up its charter in 1920, because of the high cost to upgrade its main street to a state highway, and became part of Abington Township. On November 2, 2010, township residents voted to change the township's name from "Abington" to "Waverly Township,'"
The earliest settlers built cabins in Waverly around 1800. The Philadelphia and Great Bend Turnpike (now Main Street) was chartered in 1919 by the Pennsylvania Legislature along The Warriors' Path. Started in 1820, this turnpike was completed in 1824. During this time, the first three houses which were not cabins were built. In 1828, the Wayside Inn was built, and the first doctor, Dr. Andrew Bedford, set up practice and built a house which stands today on Main Street (North Abington Road). The first general store was built in 1830, followed by a second inn and tavern in 1832. A building boom ensued during the years 1847 through 1890, during which time Waverly was a profitable small-scale industrial center. 1850 through 1880 was the heyday of Waverly's industrial era. Farmers and dairymen shipped their goods to New York City; iron foundries flourished, and numerous retail establishments, including greengrocers, bakers, a drugstore, dime store, hardware store, lumberyard, and harness shops, thrived. In 1880, the railroad was laid five miles from Waverly, and the prosperity of the town faded.
During the mid-19th century, Waverly was a stop on the Underground Railroad. Escaped slaves and freedmen found a sympathetic population in Waverly, and some settled in small houses built by a local farmer and sold to them. The freedmen also built the AME Church, which is in use today as a private residence. It is one of five churches in existence in 1872, three of which still stand and are still active congregations.
The Waverly Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.